Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Welcome home, go slow

We did not stick it out in Playa, we caught the bus with the locals and headed to Belize City. It was an adventure to cross the border from Mexico into Belize that landed us paired up with Valerye and Louise from Quebec. They were making their way in the same direction so we shared some of the costs to hit the border of beautiful Belize...and it is still beautiful. The customs people were so friendly they were giving tips on how to see the whale sharks down in Plancencia. I immediately remembered why I love this country.

We made it into Belize City, but missed the last water taxi out to the Cayes. Even the people looking for cash are friendly. They eventually ask you for a dollar but then when you say no they say "okay mon, you have a great stay in Belize mon..beautiful Belize mon" You can't help but shake your head. Anyone and everyone will stop to see if you need something or if you are looking for something. We ended up eating with Marva and her family in a little restaurant with te staple food being red beans and rice....very nice with a little jerk chicken or deer meat and side of potatoe salad mmmmmmgood!

Rufas got picked up off the street: "you look like a mon that works out, come see my gym" and of course every person has something that you should buy...especailly the fressh cut fruit on the street stands.

We made it out to the Caye after much organizing and planning... Upon arrival you are greeted by many: Welcome Home..Go Slow..it is the official slogan here. However, I am not sure how one could go any slower. Even the little girls selling coconut fudge are so laid back they could care less if you bought it or not. I was looking at some jewelry and could not even fins the guy who sold it..he could see me but send t a friend over to see if I really needed anything. People leave their little stands all of the time. It is just a really safe place
Once we hit the Caye we headed to our old place Lorraine's guest house to see if we could get our old cabin form five years ago...however we ended up next door on the stilted shacks that look over the ocean..not a bad compromise for 20 dollars a night. it was a step up from the10 we paid in the past...oh well.

More organizing and Belikin drinking landed us on a dive boat for the morning. And into my Belize 5-0: Translation, I officially hit 50 dives under water and had Rufas look at me and say "I think I have done over 1000"....haha. I guess I deserved that one...diving with a commercial diver and all.

I missed these waters... the blue is a color that is not describable...only stunning. We are soaking up the rays and the salt sprays..but I will try and find a computer to upload some pictures.

Life is good, it feels like home and its nice to go slow!

xot

1 comment:

Da Sista said...

Andre's been diving in Belize before and he backs your story completely. I have no intention to swim with the fishes (unless the Russian mofia I work for put me there one day) but the beans and rice feeds sound great ;)

Did someone actually pick Rufas up?